School of Missionary Aviation Technology
84 E Sprague Rd - Ionia, MI 48846
Phone: (616) 527 4160
Our Vision: To serve the Lord through aviation training.
Our vision is to serve the Lord in missions by providing certified training in flight, aviation maintenance and related technical fields. We are committed to providing a high level of training through academic excellence, quality personnel, and facilities conducive to the real world missionary environment. As servants of Christ, we will accomplish this by providing a learning environment that is Christ centered, caring, compassionate and responsive.
Our Mission: Prepare individuals to serve God in mission aviation.
Our mission is to prepare individuals to be aviation professionals with life skills and competencies, who model SMAT’s values in their future workplaces.
- Caring Relationships are vital to the effectiveness of ministry
- Stewardship is a God-given responsibility to use resources He provides to accomplish His plan
- Excellence affects all areas of endeavor in a positive way
- Servant leadership is a God-give opportunity to serve those who follow
Our History: 1969 until the Present
- 1969 to 1993 - GRSBM - SMAT‘s origins can be traced to the missionary aviation program at Grand Rapids School of the Bible & Music as part of the school’s Missions Program
- 1993 to 1997 - MATS - Cornerstone University acquired GRSBM and formed MATS (Missionary Aviation Training Service)
- 1997 to Present - SMAT - SMAT became an independent school (School of Missionary Aviation Technology)
- Jack Befus, Chairman
- Ron Reitsma, Vice Chairman
- Michael McDonald, Treasurer
- Mark Kotlarczyk, Secretary
- Marv Tyler, Member
- Jeff Gillesse, Member
- Bob Damaske, Member
- Peter Eggenberger, Member
- Dave McCleery, Member
- Terry Yoder, President/CEO
- Marvin Tyler, Administrative Consultant
- Dean Peterson, Building/Grounds Supervisor/Safety Officer/AMT Instructor
- Duane Linsley, Project Supervisor/AMT Instructor
- Nathan Rozema, AMT director/Instructor
- Rod Hatcher, AMT Instructor
- Robert Hovenden, Aviation Maintenance Lead
- Jamin Lorch, Aviation Maintenance
- Ryan de Roos, Aviation Maintenance
- Joe Gelatt, Aviation Maintenance
- Brad Olson, Aviation Maintenance
- Steve VanBeveren, Director of Flight Training
- Neil DuBois, Chief Flight Instructor
- Bryan Jones, Flight Instructor
- Eric Walter, Flight Instructor
- Jim Sutter, Finance Director
- Barb Trierweiler, Administrative Assistant
- Hannah Walter, Office Assistant
- Larry Kimball, Building Custodian
- Lynelle DeBruin, Building Custodian
Our Alliances: Mission Agencies & Other Schools.
We have alliances with mission agencies and other schools that send their students to SMAT for the specialized training we can provide.
Here are some of the mission agencies with which we are affiliated;
Here are some of the schools with which we are affiliated;